Thursday, September 6, 2007

Tender Mercy

Applesauce, Salsa, Strawberry Freezer Jam, Corn, Peaches, Fruit Cocktail were all the items on my agenda this year for canning. Why? I have no idea.. I get all pumped and excited until im half way into it and then I say Uuuuggghh!! But hey we will have something to eat in the middle of winter. I had a little episode with my salsa a few days ago. Marne helped me to understand that this was truly a tender mercy.


I was laboring in the kitchen all day (5 or more hours) earlier this week making salsa. That included cutting tomatoes and vegetables until I wanted to scream then waiting for the salsa to thicken over a few hours time. After awhile I was getting close to being done when I noticed the salsa smelled burnt . It made me sick to my stomach to even think that i had burned that salsa. I didn't even want to go there! I was TICKED! i was so mad that I just felt like crying. I felt like no matter how hard I tried that I still couldn't do anything right. Let me just remind you that I HATE burning food. Nothing makes me madder! I didn't even want to taste it cause i wasn't ready to face the fact of it being burnt. I waited, waited, and waited, trying to let it sink in and get used to the fact that my salsa was done, over, wasted! As i said a little prayer in my head "please save this salsa, let it not taste bad, please, please" I put the salsa to my saddened lips and tasted first a spicy hot, jalapeno taste and then awaited the taste of burnt that i was sure was going to follow. I was sitting there with my feet aching, enjoying the cushy seat, and was trying to figure out why I did not taste the burnt taste that I was sure was in that salsa. I was sure that it was just me, maybe I couldn't taste it cause i didn't want to so off I went to find Darin, thinking that surely he could tell me that it was burnt. He thought it tasted fine too. After having Marne's husband taste it while I was there and getting his approvel of the ok tasting salsa I was starting to believe that maybe I had been given a tender mercy. The Lord knew that I was trying so hard to stored food for my family and do what he has asked that he preserved my salsa from tasting burnt. Later after I had emptied my pan, there covering the bottem was a solid layer of charred salsa. I am just grateful for He who is watching over us when we least expect it.

2 comments:

Marne said...

So glad it turned out for you Sherri. Isn't it true... in little things like this we can see the Lord's hand in, and that he cares about us. The salsa looks fantastic! Your hard work paid off!

Kim said...

Guess what? I cried when I read this! Surprise surprise. I'm proud of you, you domestic diva!